So I made an attempt at cooking short ribs today. They were pretty good. Made an awesome gravy for mashed potatoes. I found the recipe on www.allrecipes.com. It had a pretty good rating and like the name suggests, it does have a German flavor to it. Like Sauerbraten or something. Some of the reviewers suggested making more of the gravy and since I had 4 pounds of short ribs, I did double the gravy ingredients. Also, I didn't have Chile Sauce so I used ketchup and a couple dashes of hot sauce. Oh, and the only red wine we had was a Pinot Noir so that's what I used. I served it over mashed potatoes but buttered noodles would be good too.
Recipe below is how it appeared on allrecipes.com
Slow-Cooked German Short Ribs
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds beef short ribs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, cut in half and then sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup chile sauce (I used ketchup and some hot sauce)
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons flour, salt, and pepper. Coat the short ribs with the flour mixture.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown short ribs in olive oil.
In a slow cooker, combine onions, wine, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and chili powder. Mix thoroughly.
Transfer the short ribs from the skillet to the slow cooker.
Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove ribs, and turn the slow cooker control to High. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 cup water, and stir into the sauce. Cook for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
No comments:
Post a Comment