Sunday, March 29, 2009

last weekend was busy... this one, not so much

What a great weekend we had. We headed to Seaside Friday night after work. After a late start and stopping for dinner in Hillsboro, we rolled into Seaside about 10pm. We unloaded the car and the dogs and Mom asked if we (CJ & I) felt like meeting my Aunt and Uncle at a wine bar in Seaside. We did feel up to it and I knew that Mom was wanting me to check out the wine bar. So we left Kyle home with the dogs and went over to "Yummy" wine bar. We stayed for a little over an hour and did some wine tasting while Honey & Kevin (aunt and uncle) had beer and Mom had a glass of wine. It was a nice visit and the wine bar was cool. By the time we came home, Kyle was sound asleep in front of the TV.

On Saturday morning, Mom made us yummy pancakes for breakfast and then CJ & I headed into Gearhart to the Bridal Show. It was nice and I came away with a HUGE bag of goodies and flyers and business cards and such. They had the usual raffles and stuff. There was a fabulous bakery with a booth that had samples and a book of different cake designs. We liked what we saw and tasted so we asked if they were open the next day (Sunday) and the lady said yes but she'd be in closer to Noon. There was a florist right next to them that was also from Cannon Beach that had the perfect boutonniere that even CJ really liked. So we asked if they were open the next day and the lady said yes but she wouldn't be in until 1pm. So we figured we'd check out both the bakery and the florist the next day. We left the bridal show and called my Mom's cell phone to see where she and Kyle were. They were at the beach with the dogs. We met them down there and hung out for a while and then headed to Broadway in Seaside. We wandered down the main drag and back. We headed back to Mom's house, where I crashed into a nap. After I woke up, we got ready for dinner. My uncle is the head chef at a restaurant in Gearhart called Pacific Way Cafe (P-way). My aunt said she wanted to take us out for dinner that night. So we headed over to their house a little early to have some wine and get the dogs acquainted. Honey and Kevin have a chocolate lab named Mocha and he took an instant liking to Punky, CJ's dog. So we had some wine before heading over to the restaurant. The food was so awesome. Kyle had his first taste of Coconut Prawns, which he really liked. Even CJ liked them. So we split a couple of appetizers, grilled veggies with polenta and also an order of Coconut Prawns. I ordered the chicken marsala, CJ had the beef tenderloin and Kyle had fish & chips. The food was SOO good, of course. Then all 5 of us shared a creme brule. We went back to Honey and Kevin's house for coffee and basically hung out until Kevin came home from the restaurant.

Sunday morning, we headed to the P-way bakery and got coffee and pastries for breakfast. We went back to Mom’s house to hang out for a while (CJ discovered Sudoku this weekend). CJ & I did go to a florist in Seaside to pick up a wedding planner that I had won at the bridal show. I already have one but this was much nicer than what I had so I think I’ll swap stuff over. CJ & I headed to Cannon Beach to talk to the bakery first and then the florist. We got the cake ordered and then went to the florist. We looked through books and gave our thoughts on what we liked. I did get a very interesting bouquet idea but I’ll keep that a secret for now. :)

We left Cannon Beach and headed to Astoria to the Hotel Elliott, where we’re getting married. We were given a key to the Presidential Suite, where the reception will be, so CJ could check it out. We also went to the roof so CJ could see where the ceremony will be held. CJ said he really liked the hotel and both areas. We left there and headed back to Mom’s house. We hung out for a while before heading to the Shilo Inn in Seaside, on the beachfront. CJ has had a $100 gift certificate for the Shilo Inn for as long as I’ve known him and we never got around to using it yet. So we decided we’d use it and take Mom and Kyle out for a nice dinner. So we sat at a table, overlooking the ocean, and watched the sunset while we ate a wonderful dinner. After dinner, we came back to Mom’s and Mom & I watched some funny little home movies. There were some really cute ones of me and my little brother. Very fun to watch. Then it was bedtime.

Monday morning, Mom had to get ready for work and we needed to head out. CJ had an appointment to get his hair cut in Eugene at 3:30pm by my hair stylist and we were going to drive all the way down the coast to Florence and then cut over to Eugene. That’s a pretty long drive so I wanted to leave kinda early. Mom went to work and we managed to leave her house around 9:30am. We stopped by Bagels by the Sea, a local bagel shop in Seaside. I actually won $1 because I knew the trivia question of the day and it hadn’t been answered yet. That was fun. So we headed south along the Pacific Coast Hwy. Kyle was following along on the map and was letting us know what town was coming up next and such. At one point, he said there was a boat dropoff coming up. Then he started referring to them as boat droppings. He was talking about the boat landings that was marked on the map but I was laughing and saying “I don’t want to clean up any boat droppings!”. We all had a good laugh about that one. We drove by Tillamook Country Smokers, a mail order jerky place we like to order from. We also drove by Tillamook Cheese Factory and I kinda wish we had stopped. But we didn’t. We did stop at one beach place to let the dogs out and chase tennis balls. Then we stopped in Newport for lunch at Arctic Circle. Love it! I always get a Lime Rickey, of course. Then we continued south to Florence. I was starting to worry about if we would make it to Eugene by 3:30pm. I called the salon to ask Shawna how much wiggle room we had for the appt. She wasn’t available but I was talking to the receptionist and mentioned we were running late. That’s when my phone lost signal and died. I wasn’t paying attention to how many bars I had and I was going between 0 and 1 bar. We kept driving along and Shawna ended up calling me back when we were about 40 miles from Eugene. We were running about 10min late but she said that would be okay. We showed up in Eugene and CJ got his hair cut. Then we headed to Eugene Toy & Hobby to see if they had a part for CJ’s RC copter (they did not). We decided to stop by my grandma’s house, to say hi, to let the dogs out, and to use her bathroom. We visited with her for a bit and then went to Ron’s Island Grill for some Mauna Loa chicken. CJ had Kaluha Pork but liked Kyle’s Mauna Loa chicken better. Then we took the dogs to the dog park at Armitage Park. After that, we headed home to Albany. We got home about 7pm. CJ & I both commented that it felt like we were gone for a week but it was really just 3 days. Oh, and I forgot to mention that when we were driving down the coast, I received a call from the book store at the Seaside Outlet Stores to tell me that I had won a $15 gift certificate to the Outlet Stores. It was from the Bridal Show. We had already left town but I called my Mom and she picked up the gift certificate for me. So I won 3 different times over the weekend.

We had such a great time and it was awesome to spend time with both Mom and Honey & Kevin. I wish they all lived closer. I did see Honey again just this last Friday because it was my Aunt Regina’s birthday and she came down for the weekend. We met at Sizzler for dinner on Friday night and after that, some of us went back to Grandma’s for a game of Scrabble. After that, I headed to my friend Jay’s house where I knew he was doing a Newbie Poker Night. I just wanted to swing by and see how the lesson was going. I ended up staying until the game ended, which was after 11pm. I bought a growler of Jay’s homebrew as a surprise for CJ and headed home.

Yesterday was mega lazy. We just lounged around and watched TV and napped. Today, we’re going to go to Springfield to work on the house. And that’s all I have!

I added my Twitter Feed on the right hand margin. I have a feeling that will get updated a lot more often. It’s easy to text to Twitter from my phone and even send pictures from my phone. So even if there isn’t a new blog post, make sure to check out the Twitter Updates to the right.

No comments: