Tuesday, May 12, 2009

a couple more things

Oh, I forgot to post about my shopping trips on Saturday. My trip to Walgreens was my first money maker trip! I bought 2 bottles of Listerine for $9 and CJ wanted a drumstick ice cream for $1.29. Total came to $10.29 but I had $7 in previous Register Rewards so my total came to $3.29 and the Listerine purchase produced a $4.50 Register Reward to be used on a future purchase. So I actually made $1.21 on the transaction. Awesome! It would have been more awesome without the drumstick. Ah well. CJ was chauffeuring me to a couple of stores so it was fine. :) Our next stop was to Fred Meyer, where they were having an awesome sale on strawberries. 4 pound container was on sale for $3.88. I bought 2 of those and I also bought 4 boxes of Sure-Jell pectin that were on sale 2 for $4. There were coupons on a display that gave you $2 off of sugar when you bought 2 boxes of the pectin. So I grabbed 2 of those and got 2 4-lb sugars for free (they sell for $1.99). And there was also a deal that if you bought 4 boxes of the pectin, it generated a Catalina coupon for $3 off your next purchase. Soooo... I got 8 pounds of strawberries, 4 boxes of pectin, and 8 pounds of sugar for $12.76 (this reflects subtracting the $3 coupon off of what I paid). Pretty good deal! And I bet you'll never guess what I made later that day. Strawberry jam! I see blogs where people take pictures of the stages of making a recipe and I wish I had done that for the jam. Ah well. But here is a picture of all the jam I made on Saturday. I gave some for Mother's Day gifts and still had plenty left over for our freezer. We'll be eating jam for a long time. I love it!


No comments: